PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2009, 12:49
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
LL, there may well be possible links between this and other Chinook accidents or incidents. I don't know, nor I suspect does anyone else, including their Airships. As I have already said, such conjecture doesn't get us anywhere. Forensic science might yet retrospectively determine the cause, but I suspect that the aircraft remains were speedily disposed of. If the aircraft had been fitted with recorders of aircraft parameters and flight deck voices then we might have had a much better idea but the Airworthiness Authority deemed them unnecessary. As it seems content to pin the blame on the "Gross Negligence" of the pilots in the absence of contrary proof one might be tempted to conclude that they had an incentive to perpetuate such technical deprivation. What is emerging on PPRuNe is the culpability of that same Airworthiness Authority, in that this aircraft along with many others lacked airworthiness. Again, the obvious conflict of interest of the Operator and the Airworthiness Authority being one and the same, ie the MOD, strikes me as so unacceptable that these two functions must be separated by the establishment of an independent Military Airworthiness Authority before UK military airworthiness can be regained.