PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seabourne Airlines
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2009, 09:08
SherpaDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Beachbumflyer
Sherpa, what's wrong with calling one native?
This is not a stab at trying to make this a "politically correct" forum, but there was a time when the term "native" had a less than flattering connotation. Kind of like using the word "savage" or even the "N-word" when describing people of African or Carib descent. When you say "I'm a native of Ft. Lauderdale" or "I'm a native New Yorker" it takes on entirely different meaning than when you say "Look at those natives in South Africa running up to the airplane" or "I just can't communicate with these natives in St. Croix." Words are powerful and language usage can convey messages which can be interpreted (or mis-interpreted) in the wrong way.

I guess you never thought your original post would have stirred up so much spirited debate...

To TowerDog
Anything wrong with being a native of STT, or anywhere? If I was a betting man, I'd say you are full of crap.
I know you probably think you're pretty clever with your play on words but we both know that I never said there was anything wrong being a native of STT. However, that was not the context you used the word "native." But let me guess, when you're visiting in Salt Lake City or Idaho you probably say "The natives here seem to be really friendly" or "these natives are always stealing the wheels off my car." Your feeble attempt to be derogatory and cast the populace of STX and STT in a negative context by calling them natives, while trying to appear objective, shows your true colors. I've met your type before and your defensiveness must mean I've hit a nerve...well I'm calling you out so you can read whatever you want to read in my words. But we were talking about working for Seabourne Airlines...