PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2009, 08:13
ancientaviator62

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Regle,
I have always had a great interest in military history, especially aviation. This iinterest was given a sharper focus when my stepson's then girlfriend casually mentioned that her grandfather had flown on WW 2. To cut a long story short her grandmother sent me a copy of his log book. He had been in 4GP on 78 then 10 Sqns .(Halifax ) He had been on the Peenemunde raid also. His logbook entry is a single line with 6h 35min night recorded. So I obtained a copy of John Searby's book on the raid where it lists all the crews who were on the raid. It was then very straightforward to look up the 51 Sqn crews and work out from your posts who you were and which Halifax you were flying. Hope you do not mind. At the risk of 'thread drift' I we took a Herc to St Athan for an open day when I was in the RAF. As I was having a pee in the loo in the mess, an old boy looked at my Sqn badge and ramarked he had been in the RAF in WW2 on 78 Sqn as an engineering officer.
Naturally I asked him if he knew 'X' and he said he did ! Small world ! He subsequently sent me a copy of the the aircraft and crews of 78 who were on the Peenemunde raid. What is striking is the number of aircraft that diverted to other stations on the return from the raid . Was this normal ?