PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 14th Feb 2009, 04:56
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
There have been times when I felt that the British style slow and academic type of tuition is best. With enough time, One can become very knowledgeable on a given science. There are other times when I think the fast, clear, American-style tutorial, as in the link, are absolute tops. Very good, unequivocal video training pertaining to a specific threat.

One of the worst months in my 40 plus years in aviation, was suffered in Toulouse on an ATR course. It was bizarrely awful, with colleagues leaving with horrendous confusion in their knowledge of the systems. The exams were passed, at least by all the people that I asked, by learning parrot-fashion from the Q&A book. I took another month to sort out the information, and re-write it in a meaningful manner. Despite the course being at the manufacturer's factory field, there was not a single lesson containing the vital information that we see in the NASA link.

I left there without any knowledge of the specific type-anomalies that this film, for example, would have given me. That is unforgivable.

I happened to have years in command of medium weight turbo-props, and T-tailed jets, but some of my colleges were looking forward to their first command. The inferences are obvious.