PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2009, 02:47
DPD_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A No1 BFTS story

Since helicopter ‘war stories’ don’t really belong on this thread I can relay a few stories from my childhood. I remember dad telling a story about leading a cross country flight of, I believe, four or five other AT-6s. As he often did, they flew over the small town in North Texas where his mother, my grand mother, lived. Dad and the other planes would land in a large field and grand mother would drive out the meet them and always brought a large amount of home cooked food. The British boys loved it. On one particular day all the planes were lined up along the side of the road waiting for grand mother to arrive with the food. Dad said he noticed a jeep coming toward them with an officer’s flag mounted on the front. He knew they were not supposed to land in such a place and would probably get into big trouble. Acting quickly Dad had all of the other pilots line up in front of their planes. As the officer passed, Dad called everyone to attention and they all saluted. The officer saluted them back but the jeep never slowed down. Grand mother arrived, everyone enjoyed a great meal and then they were on their way.

Last edited by DPD_Pilot; 14th Feb 2009 at 02:49. Reason: correction