PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tanking
Thread: Tanking
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 23:06
exgroundcrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget the pioneering Valiants

It makes me feel old when no-one mentions the original tanker squadrons 90 and 214. It was in 1961 we converted from bomber role to tanker. Originally just for the V force but we rapidly (after testing the engines with AVTER instead of AVTAG) started to refuel the fighters including the Lightning. I have vivid memories of Valiants returning with the fighters "donkey conk" the probe stuck in our drogue. No major problem because they were designed to sheer off, we just tied a red ribbon around it and posted it back to the receivers squadron with appropriate comments added.

An interesting point - the Lightning had some special anti-freezing agent added to its fuel and a special rig was developed to automatically mix the required amount in a 500 gallon tank between the bowser and the Valiant. This was an exceptionally useless piece of kit, so eventually we unbolted the inspection panel and with a five gallon bucket poured in the anti-freeze and with a broken paddle just stirred it up a bit and passed it to the Valiant. One day while I was on this stirring duty a passing engineering officer called out "excuse me Sergeant, what are you doing?", I replied "mixing the fuel Sir". "I thought this machine was designed to do that automatically" was his reply, "That's correct" I said " and I would like to me the $$£""$^^ idiot who designed it". "You are speaking to him" was the response.