PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Don't get drunk onboard - or else
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 22:28
BOFH
Bludger extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OFBSLF has a good point.

If they imprisoned me every time that I've been intoxicated on an aircraft, I'd be writing this from Scrubs. Happily, though, I'm in Ford Open now.

There is a certain character (or lack thereof) who cannot tolerate the effects of alcohol as they segue from tipsiness into intoxication. Fuelled by deep-seated problems, they become morose and burdensome - but all they remember is the light-headedness of that first drink, that gave them so much pleasure. And they want another, not realising that it won't make them happy; it will make them even more repugnant to their companions. So they'll have another...

You can't tell these people not to over-imbibe a priori. It's the way they spend their leisure time on the ground. It might be possible to spot some of them before embarkation, but without staring at his bird, how do you decide if a passenger will become a problem passenger when he's in his cups?

In terms of safety of the aircraft, after some well-publicised incidents involving the participation of other passengers to assist the crew, I think that there is little to alarm us. There is no shortage of people with cat's-bum lips who will call for the suspension of alcohol services on flights to end the menace of air rage. These are the people who support smoking bans and more widespread CCTV. You know, morons.

A more elegant solution might be to copy the cousins, but instead of Air Marshals, Air Thugs, who will nut or glass anyone acting up. In this way, the experience of the typical British pub may accompany us on our journeys.

BOFH