PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PCAS collision avoidance
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 17:18
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
421C

“No way. Transponders are the norm in VFR under 5000', not the exception. You do tend to mythologise sport aircraft (gliders, micros etc) as dominating private aviation and I think this simply isn't true.”

The last time I looked at this, which is some time ago, the single engine C of A fleet was about ½ the size of the Micro / LAA / Glider fleet. If you get even lighter then the numbers get even bigger. Do you have more up to date info?

“I understand the issue with gliders”

Good.

“but I am confused about micros and LAA”

I have explained this is very simple terms, so if you can use the search feature you should be ok

“You are always extolling the virtues of these aircraft compared to "spamcans" that will be resigned to history's dustbin. Suddenly a "spamcan" able to carry a transponder and supply it with power becomes a "wonder-ship". Which is it? Are Micros and LAA types able to carry sensible loads and useful avionics, or not?”

I “extol the virtues” of the type of aircraft I fly, which is a modern LAA VLA. It has modern glass which can have all types of collision avoidance interfaced into it and it already has a mode c transponder, navcom, advanced GPS etc and exceptional visibility. This is a type of aircraft, which is growing in number, but it represents a very small % of the total LAA fleet. The vast majority of micros and well over 50% of LAA types do not have a transponder, and even if they did they would also need more kit to detect other aircraft. The CAA has accepted that mandatory transponders will not happen. FLARM is the only tec I know of which could help us all out, but if you would rather carry on as we are, at least acknowledge that some of us are trying to be constructive.

Rod1