PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 15:42
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Andrew is right in saying that we might not necessarily be getting the truth here! Seem to be an awful lot of conflicting comments regarding HLF. Besides, as I've said before, it's very easy to claim that HLF has been asked and that they refuse to co-operate any further, as if that's the end of the matter. Obviously, it doesn't have to be the end of the matter at all if TVOC didn't want it to be. Clearly, they have a golden opportunity to put all their efforts into making a major public issue out of this matter, highlighting how HLF have thrown money at a project which is now dead, unless they put-in a little bit (by their standards) more. It's simple - what would HLF rather do? Be shown-up as wasting a lot of money just because they want to wrap themselves in self-imposed "rules" to avoid paying a bit more, thereby making the original payment worth every penny? Ultimately, HLF are spending our money and if they refuse to spend any more, then it's down to the Government (via us) to dictate that they do otherwise. We have every right to see our money spent as we (not they) see fit.

Problem is, I don't think TVOC have the stomach for a fight like that. It's far easier to just say "we asked but they said no" and go back to lame requests for donations. It's ludicrous - it's the only obvious way of getting the money they need and it would appear that they haven't got the guts to fight for it. Point is, what other flimsy options do they have? None it would seem.

As for America, well I just don't see what else they could do with a grounded aeroplane. If a few people think they'd no longer support TVOC if there was any hint of it going overseas then what can one say? Clearly, these people don't have the interests of the aircraft's future at heart, they have their own interests at heart. It's quite ridiculous to say it would be better in a museum here (not that any museum is likely to take it) rather than risk a chance of it flying overseas. That's just insulting all the people who worked so hard to get it flying again. We've got plenty of prserved Vulcans here so adding another one just for the sake of not taking a chance is just silly. There's no guarantee that it would fare any better in the US but as I keep saying, once it is grounded here (and there's no sign of it ever flying again) then it's stuck for good, whereas if TVOC used whatever money is left to get it out of the UK while they can, there is at least a slim chance that it could be kept airworthy and - just possibly - come back one day. You can be sure that if it stays on the ground here for very long, the CAA will make sure it never flies again.

Think the problem is that some people think taking it overseas is an admission of defeat. Well if it is then so be it. Far better to accept the inevitable and do what can be done, rather than just stick one's head in the sand and allow 558 to stay here and rot.

TVOC still have a chance to rescue the project if they would use their time to challenge HLF and to convince people like Branson that there is some promotional mileage in at least making a donation. But I fear that TVOC just don't look at things in the same way. They seem fixated with their usual approach of secretive pleas for sponsorship, combined with stupid requests for private donations which will barely cover the sandwich bill. They don't seem to have the imagination to look at the project on a wider scale. Like I sad before, the don't even take advantage of media opportunities when they get them. They get a chance to talk on national TV and radio and as ever it's Pleming babbling and stuttering about all the irrelevant points which just make him (and the project) look like an amateur pipe dream. They should have got themselves media-savvy and had someone like Jeremy Clarkson (even though I can't stand the bloke!) waiting in the wings to talk to the media and explain the project in language that they (and the public) understand.

It just ain't gonna happen. I see no other alternative than simply letting TVOC blow themselves out. There's no guarantee that anyone else will step-in to rescue the project but it's a possibility and that seems to be a glimmer of hope that TVOC just don't offer. But I guess we'll see soon as their deadline is approcahing. Should be fascinating to see what happens when they do finally call it quits. Might be an opportunity to finally find-out precisely what has been going-on and what all these people really have been doing all this time - not that this will be much comfort I suppose