PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST (BHD) - 3
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 10:29
BFS101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at least I won't have to land in the middle of nowhere
Hardly in the middle of nowhere. There is no doubting at all that BHD is extremely convenient for the centre of Belfast and North Down, but I think its an exagerattion to say that BFS is in the middle of nowhere. From a distance, and a journey time point of view, I would feel that BFS is just as convenient to Belfast as many major airports are to their urban centres. Fair enough, no direct rail link which is a disappointment.

they are getting a good share of the market but they are not achieving the yield (nor are any other airlines)
I know its business, and FR have planes to put somewhere, but when its already a very competitive market and yields are poor, why on earth come in to compete. Back to my point weeks ago, that too much competition can be bad especially on thinner routes, and that Northern Ireland on the whole is already very competitive and well connected to the rest of the UK.

Some diversification on European services would be good, but that's the unimaginative nature of the Northern Ireland traveller (Bally Ponsa brigade). Aer Lingus, credit where credit's due, has tried to introduce new destinations, but unfortunately relatively poor uptake. Personally I think the last thing Belfast needs is more bloomin services to Paris (esp when you have to land "in the middle of nowhere"), Barcelona (Girona and Reus convenient to Barcelona???) and Rome.