PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - a 320 x-wind landing tecnique
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 04:28
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
JC. Spoken like a true Australian.

Your company's FCOM 3.03.22 may say that. Ours has nothing about landing in a crosswind. Our Flight Crew Training Manual (Airbus Industrie produced) says:

FINAL APPROACH
In crosswind conditions, a crabbed-approach should be flown.

FLARE
The objectives of the lateral and directional control of the aircraft during the flare are:

- To land on the centerline

- And, to minimize the loads on the main landing gear.

During the flare, rudder should be applied as required to align the aircraft with the runway heading. Any tendency to drift downwind should be counteracted by an appropriate lateral (roll) input on the sidestick. In the case of a very strong cross wind, the aircraft may be landed with a residual drift (up to about 5 °) to prevent an excessive bank (up to about 5 °). Consequently, combination of the partial de-crab and wing down techniques may be required.

And FCOM Bulletin 827 (Aircraft Handling In Final Approach) says:

Rudder use should be limited to the "de-crab" maneuver in case of crosswind, while maintaining wings level, with the sidestick in the roll axis.

The Airbus Flight Operations Briefing Notes are not an official document in our company and are not used.

So, with the use of the word "should" I and all my colleagues understand we don't really have a choice. And I'm quite happy that I know what my FCOMs say, thank you.