PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 03:03
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the 558 Press office has granted us another release at last. Had to laugh at this line-

Whilst huge numbers of people saw the Vulcan display last summer, by contrast, hardly anyone appears to know of XH558’s plight now.

Guess you have to admire a press office that broadcasts its own deficiencies?

So it would appear that the saga really is in its death throes now, unless it's just another Pleming-esque attempt at screwing a little more money out of everyone. Interesting to see that Branson has supposedly spoken on the subject. If TVOC have any capability at all, now they'll pressure him into getting his cheque book out at last. Even if he doesn't want to sponsor the aircraft (and you can't blame him when he can't cover it in Virgin logos), he could make a one-off donation and milk the event for all the usual Virgin publicity he's so good at. But I don't suppose TVOC are even capable of convincing him that it's a good idea. They'd rather rattle collection cans.

Like I said before, this saga is going nowhere with a bunch of people who nobody trusts and who have failed to deliver on any of the much-promised sponsorship. It's nothing to do with the recesssion - it's because they've never really "sold" the idea to anyone. I've seen enough of Pleming and Co. on TV to make me squirm - they look and sound like a bunch of amateurs so you can't be surprised when they get ignored by people with money. The project needs some clued-up individuals who know how PR and media works, not some well-meaning enthusiasts who think that asking people for donations is ever (and I mean ever) going to bring-in enough money. What did they think this is? A jumble sale?

Let it run its course. Let them go away and then there's a slim chance that some other people might be inclined to take-over and do a much better job, hopefully with the same technical and engineering team who deserve better. Before the smart alecs chime-in with "like who?" well I don't know, but I know there are people out there who are interested in the project but who don't want to deal with TVOC. Likewise there are countless people who have already offered to help and they've been ignored. With another team maybe they'll come back? Hell, anything's got to be better than this long, painful death hasn't it?

I sympathise with the people who are doing their best to raise money from donations and I have no issues with people on the Vulcan forum sharing their thoughts and ideas or anything they like. My point is that it's all pointless in terms of getting 558 airborne. The fund-raising is well-meaning but it will achieve nothing as it can't hope to provide anything like the amounts needed. It requires big ideas from people who know how to get attention from the right people. Patently, the current bunch who are running the project haven't got a clue. I don't blame them for avoiding being answerable to every random enthusiasts who posts a question on a forum, but they should at least be direct, open and honest about where every penny has been spent, precisely how much money they need, who has been approached and who hasn't. Clearly, they're never going to tell us that so they deserve to go. It's not a private club, its a public concern paid-for by the public. As I've said before, the key to this is HLF as they can save the project and they can force TVOC to explain themselves. But HLF will not get involved unless they have to. But clearly, nobody has the inclination to try pressurising HLF as whenever I even mention the idea people just scoff. Presumably this is because it's easier than actually doing something. HLF is the only body that has enough "clout" to demand that TVOC deal openly and explain just what they have (or haven't) been doing for so long.

Our only other hope was the aviation press but as we've seen, they're just a bunch of toothless amateurs (indeed the term "press" hardly seems applicable to them any more) who churn-out pretty pictures, regurgitate press releases and vapid articles about nothing in particular, and never, ever want to ask any difficult questions or do something worthwhile. They're as big a joke as TVOC. But if nobody can be bothered to badger HLF then the only other practical option is to let TVOC run out of steam (and money) and let them go away. Then maybe - just maybe - some other people might be able to start again.

If Pleming achieved anything, at least he demonstrated that it can be done - so maybe that will be enough to convince others that it's worth a try?

Andrew - did you get a reply from Pleming then?

Last edited by Tim McLelland; 13th Feb 2009 at 03:21.