PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft accidents AIrcraft to blame?
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2009, 02:07
Karl Bamforth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Fact is there are I think 23 lives saved using the Cirrus ballistic shute system.
23 people walking around today who wouldnt have been had it not been for the parachute system."

I think what you really mean is 23 have survived a Cirrus Ballistic deployment. You will never know in most cases if they would have survived a landing attempt.

I can't say I have followed the Cirrus deployments much but the ones I have seen would normally be handled by a forced landing. Your aircraft may even survive the event, it will not if you deploy the chute.

Someone mentioned the Grob used by the RAF, they have been in sevice for a number of years now averaging something like 30,000 hrs a year. They carry out aerobatics on almost every flight. They take off and land approx every 30 mins which is the most dangerous phase of flight. The Grob 115 aircraft has already demonstrated its safety record. The recent accident is the first fatalities and loss of aircraft. they were low and I doubt that a ballistic chute would have helped.

Some kind of collision avoidance kit may have helped.