PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC155 Salary & quals south UK
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2009, 22:48
heliski22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin,

You'll find the pilot would prefer to fly pretty much every day if he/she could. It won't be his/her fault if the boss doesn't want to fly and the pilot must then stand by.

Unfortunately, it is not unusual for people to query the time the pilot spends on the ground and to wonder if they ought not to be getting better "value" for the salary being paid.

I find it particularly vexing myself and have frequesntly had to argue that I'm being not being paid for my time but rather for my experience and for the sheer scale of the responsibility (up to 8 pax and $12m worth of somebody else's property!) I must carry each time I get airborne.

It continues to baffle me why people who have the wit and the wherewithal to start and grow successful businesses, with all of the risks and responsibilities involved, can so easily become hung up on the additional cost of (a) a suitably qualified primary pilot and/or (b) the cost of a second or subsequent pilot.

Anyway, many years ago, when I went to buy my first car, the salesman said, "I know what you want - you want a good cheap car!" "Exactly!", I replied. "There's no such thing", he said. "If it's good, it'll not be cheap and if it's cheap, it'll not be good!" I have found in my life so far that that applies broadly across the board!! I'll wager you'll find your 155 crewing won't be any different.