PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - a 320 x-wind landing tecnique
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2009, 22:47
John Citizen

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
The one detailed in FCOM 3. We don't really have a choice!
OK, FCOM man, now what does the FCOM say for those people who don't have reference to it ?

Read the question again :

For my curiosity which is your prefferred landing tecnique during x-wind?
He did not ask "where do you look up the preferred technique" ? Not everyone here is an Airbus pilot with access to the FCOM.

For those who do not have access to the FCOM, the FCOM says :

Crosswind landings are conventional. The preferred technique is to use the rudder to align the aircraft with the runway heading, during the flare, while using lateral control to maintain the aircraft on the runway centerline (Refer to SOP 3.03.22). The lateral control mode does not change until the wheels are on the ground, so there is no discontinuity in the control laws. The aircraft tends to roll gently in the conventional sense as drift decreases, and the pilot may have to use some normal cross control to maintain roll
attitude.

You say
We don't really have a choice!

I believe we have many choices as if you read carefully, it says "the preferred" technique only. It does not say this is the only technqiue with strongs words such as "must" and "only".

If you refer to "Airbus Flight Operations Briefing Notes - Landing Techniques - Crosswind Landing", you will actually see that Airbus says that 2 different final approach techniques which may be used :
1- wings level / crabbed approach
2- sideslip approach

Yes, Airbus actually says "2 different techniques" may be used !!

The answer is not so "black and white" and you say it is and there is more than 1 technique which we can use (as per FCOM, in your own words)

Learn your FCOM better before you think you are smart enough to advise others to refer to it.

Now to answer the original question :

My preferred technique is to decrab (rudder to straighten the nose) during the flare (after the 20' call) and aileron (sidestick) to keep on centreline !!

Last edited by John Citizen; 13th Feb 2009 at 01:18.