Thread: FAA licence
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2009, 20:01
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA checks DO and DONT

Chronology
xxx
Only requirement, ATP Written Test passed within the 24 preceeding calendar months of the oral and sim check. Generally oral exam is done the day before, or the morning of the sim check. If a failure, (sometimes happens) the sim check is performed one or two days later, after some more training.
xxx
Class 1 Medical (for INITIAL ATP issue) must be within preceeding 6 calendar months.
If you need another type rating, you can do it with Class 2 or 3 Medical.
xxx
For the oral, which is not necessarily easy, if you do not know the answer to a question...
(1) Say... "could you re-phrase your question...?"
(2) Or say... "I cannot recall that one, but I would check in the manual..."
(3) Or even... "Give me a few minutes to recall that one"..
Maybe the FAA examiner will forget that you... did not answer that one...
The more the FAA examiner talks, the less you have to answer questions.
xxx
FAA policy for simulators is - as follows -
As long as the FAA examiner does not stop the sim check, you are doing ok. So if you make a mistake, continue, or say "let me do this again"... If you mess-up an ILS approach, show good airmanship and decide to miss your approach, and do it again.
xxx
If the FAA examiner stops your sim check, you did fail... however all other maneuvers you completed earlier are "passed" and probably will not be repeated when you do your re-check. So, a re-check might only take you 30 minutes, say to do a single-engine ILS or, say ADF approach circle-to-land...
xxx
Remember that you have a co-pilot, and he can also fly the simulator...
And when you fly the simulator, use the autopilot... until "failed"...
Hope the above helps you to understand how it goes.

Happy contrails