PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2009, 13:38
regle

I care 9

My very humble apologies for not explaining further..
The crew were "On Reserve" which meant sitting in your aircraft with full operational gear, having been briefed with the rest of the "lucky " chaps who were actually designated for the Op. You would stay there until the Wingco i/c Flying was certain that all designated crews had taken off and were deemed "en route" and then you were allowed to leave the aircraft and stand by in the respective messes. You were bound by the same restrictions as those who were actually going on the Op and No, it did not count towards the number of Ops performed.
We were sitting peacefully in our aircraft when an airman came rushing up to the cockpit and yelled "Get out, Quick, one of the bombs has fallen off and they are clearing the dispersal." Being the skipper I was duty bound to be the last to leave and I tripped on the sill of the rear exit and fell straight on to my face on to the tarmac There were not many people near to help me and I staggered to the waiting truck and was pulled on board, bleeding copiously...Straight to Sick Quarters where I was bandaged up and told to go and rest and come back in the morning. The wedding was about a week later and I was still bandaged and .. No, the bomb did not go off and some awkward questions were asked and not answered of the Armourers.and No, I did not get a wound stripe as it was not enemy action.... Who needs enemies with friends like that ?