PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JSF - if we lose it to save £9bn, we'll be using Typhoon...
Old 12th Feb 2009, 11:32
mick2088

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deja vu. This from the House of Commons Defence Committee a few months ago.

General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue: At the moment, and this is still a decision-making process going on, we are looking at buying three [F-35B], which are the Operational Test and Evaluation aircraft [due to be ordered very very shortly].

Robert Key: Beyond that?

General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue: Why do we not wait and see what the Operational Test and Evaluation comes out with? [due to end 2014ish]

Robert Key: Is a marinised Typhoon still an option?

General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue: That is not being looked at, no.

Robert Key: What discussions have you been having with the French about the possibility of purchasing a French aircraft that could fly on the French aircraft carriers and the British aircraft carriers?

General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue: I have not been having any.

Mr Jenkin: Would we still consider buying the non-STOVL version [F-35C] if the STOVL version [F-35B] was not available?

Rear Admiral Lambert: At the beginning of the process we looked at the capability requirement needed for both carrier strike and for our future combat air capability, and the option that met the bill was STOVL. We revisit it every so often to make sure that we have got all our figures right, and the requirement right, and the answer still comes up as STOVL.

Mr Jenkin: So would we develop STOVL on our own account if the Americans did not want to develop it?

General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue: The carriers are not fitted for, but could be fitted for, the carrier variant.

Chairman: Was that a yes?

General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue: No, it could be - if STOVL went, which I think is your question?

Mr Jenkin: Yes, that is what I am asking.

General Sir Kevin O'Donoghue: Then carrier variant must be an option.