PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairchild Argus (again)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2002, 18:52
Negative 'G'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I take it your referring to G-AJPI, the former Liverpool resident,I had the opertunity to fly her several times and can remember the occasions very well, 4 up & full of fuel off a short grass strip presented no problems.
If I remember correctly it was fairly twitchy in x winds and with only having brakes from the LH Seat this caused certain pilots to perform "joint" landings on several occasions

G-AJPI is fitted with an in-line ranger engine although I'm sure one of the owners told me once that it was originally fitted with the lower powered Warner scarab radial type.
The A/C suffered a landing gear collapse whilst at Liverpool during the early nineties which is when it was repaired and repainted into its present colour scheme.
Landing gear collapses where apparently fairly common with the type due to a design flaw,the fix for this was to install an additional (Fairchild approved) rear u/c strut brace which the majority of A/C had done as a modification including G-FANC however for some reason this was never done to AJPI even after its mishap

Oh what nice memories of a super perfoming VINTAGE head turning Aircraft,Good luck to anybody who is fortunate enough to purchase it.

Neg G