PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Combined Hearing and audiogram thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 23:43
shgsaint

Left ear cracking

Hi chaps,

I've recently noticed that when I swallow, move air about up my wind pipe to the back of my throat and move my jaw / head side to side, me left ear cracks. I know about the Valsalva maneuver and swallowing generally helps equalise but the cracking seems 'odd'. Mr right ear doesn't crack at the same volume. I can hear it a bit but not as much as my left ear.

I've never really noticed it before and now I'm starting to panic! I'm soon to start training and don't want to risk it if I have something seriously wrong. I've had a couple of colds recently but don't think this is the cause as it even happens when I'm perfectly well.

There's no hearing loss and I can equalise without problems with exception to when I went diving once. I couldn't descend as quickly as other divers and had to dive at a much slower pace. When in aircraft however I'm generally fine. It usually feels a little uncomfortable when in the descent but nothing that I would consider incapcitating. Sometimes it feels a little tender but I only really notice the pain when I think about it. There certainly doesn't feel like any pressure or the sensation that I need to 'pop' the left ear. In fact I can 'pop it' on demand. Even if I don't need too due to the difference in air pressure. I think this is simply me manipulating my eustacian tubes and forcing them open so the pressure can equalises just like all pilots need to when descending.

Nothing was picked up or mentioned in my class 1 so I don't think it's serious. My worry is the fact that my left ear cracks much louder than my right.

Is this normal? Do your ears click at slightly different volumes?

I'll visit my GP if the problem persists or becomes painful but I wanted to get a general concensus of everyone else before I waste my GP's time.

Cheers,

SHG.