PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Overtime
Thread: EK Overtime
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 21:24
BOEINGA380

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviators

I have seen the sh^ft P*le growing in the last couple of months and my biggest question to us is what's waiting for us next?
It is a reality that everybody including EK and DXB are facing the global effects but hey: did not this country and airline wanted to be "part of the WORLD" so now they -we have to suffer with the world!

What can we do since we do not have a union but I do not believe in the union on its own but I believe that we have to THINK and ACT PROFESSIONAL but UNITED in these times. And I know I am talking horse Sh#t but trust me if we do not stand united as a group of pilots we will continuously be shafted. 60-80% of the guys complain down the route or during cruise but if we can do something that is total legal and within scopes of airmanship and S.O.P's we choose to follow the SOP's blindly which in a way is correct but not just the rules / laws but also the recommendations.

Folks we have to let the people who sit behind their desk know that we are the last line of the operations and that we do count in keeping this business safe and profitable. We are pilots but do not forget we are actually flight deck managers- we make and execute decisions and communicate this to senior flt ops management. Not the opposite! Look how we became in the last few months regarding taking fuel decisions just because we feel intimidated of Management. Taking "just" 500 kilo's extra -common 500 kg is not 2 -4 minutes extra with LD config. If you want take fuel and you can justify it take it!

Fellow Airmen and Airwomen please do not compromise safety at all cost but do collectively your part so that the company can "feel" who is in command. Whenever you sign a plan (as a PIC) you are in command of the entire operation of that mission-flight and not some office dude. Follow the FOM since that is the highest level of the airline law we have to follow and respect only the "SHALL and MUST" rules - remember Should is a recommendation and information is just advisory as long as it does not say SHALL- MUST- SHALL- NOT PROHIBITED! Off course observe other fcom limitations and placards as well.

And please do not tell me that this is unsafe and illegal and it will make the situation of EK worse. EK is making less then it was used to and wants but it is still not as bad as many other carriers. I know one word for this: GREED Btw that is the reason of the current global sh^t we are right now!

I do not mind working harder for less money if you can convince me with numbers and promise me that you will stick to this and not other surprise sh^ft in a few months/year from now under a mutual agreement. Remember a contract is according to the dictionary: (this dictionary is banned from the bookstore here

a legal document that states and explains a formal agreement between two different people or groups, or the agreement itself:
a contract of employment
At least I figured that the pay rises of 2006-7-8 are back in the pockets of our masters now and in the future. Wannabe's now you know why you have to wait in the holding pool and we need less manpower in the future. Stay pending for more!

My suggestions without compromising safety :

1) Whenever you get approached to do your alco-blow test at CBC- refuse and tell them to come back 60 minutes before ETD because then your official duty clock starts running. Don't care if they think it will delay the flight because if you know that you are going to be fine just insist you will do it at the proper check-in time. This YOUR right to tell them this. Follow the law-rules as per FOM- that is written on your piece of paper you signed that is now worth less then paper you use every day for a nice part of your body!
2) Why bother with these stupid time lines 1 hour and xx minutes before you officially sign in at CBC here in dxb. Go get your mail and have coffee and a chat with your friends-> no ,we all do and I will do the same and give EK the credit Take your time to do your checks and briefings and if you’re delayed it is not your fault because there is not enough time to do all required items in the legal time before a flight! Next time you write an ASR about fatigue mention the time EK wants you to be at the CBC to perform "pre-flight duties" and send a copy to GCAA and keep a copy for the record.
3) Taxi the airplane safe but not faster than 10 kts so you use more fuel during taxi and the engines run longer before and after a flight. Add more fuel if you have to for this- 200 -300 kgs And yes up to you single engine taxi: slow the bird down to 2 kts then rev the single engine up( advise Atc prior to avoid damage to other a/c ) to use more fuel then it would have cost for one engine taxi- hey it is not very comfy but it is still not an unsafe thing and please don't come with the poor airmanship crap! Or taxi on 2 engines all the time but max 10 kts and do not bother ticking the box on the back of the VR. It is not a law in the FOM, is it :-)?
4) Step climb 30 min to 45 minutes later then FMC allows the new optimum- yes burn some cont fuel- it is allowed and legal to do so- I mean if Bombay ATC does not give you 350 you’re stuck anyway so now you call the shots and stay lower longer. As long as you remain legal with your fuel numbers! You are allowed to use all your cont fuel! it is available to use if you "have to".
5) No block level changes just do "normal" step climb even consider point 4- it is legal to do so since your ofp is not calculated based on block level climb but step climb.

6) Use of Reverse: airplane is certified without use of Reverse- unless I am wrong- sorry then . Idle reverse just where noise sensitive airport mandate this. But the FCOM says to select reverse so USE IT as much as you like and yes do not worry to use full reverse it there to be used! Use full reverse with reasonable Auto brake and roll safe to the other exit from the runway instead of trying to make M9 for instance. Use more runway means engines will stay on longer since taxi time is more so engines will burn more fuel. Why worry about the fuel: you already landed at your destination!! And remember to taxi 10 kts instead of 20-30 kts. Just expedite if ATC instructs it.
7) Select configuration as per manuals or a bit earlier (2-4 nm). Plan 10 nm GD with FL 20 on the 777 and drag it in instead of for instance 2000ft.Whatever flaps and gear it is on the bus. If asked to reduce speed 210 KIAS and Clean is 213- put the flaps down! And if ATC wants higher speed during app ( 160 to 4 ) just drop the bloody gear as long as you observe Mr. boeing's or Airbus's limits and meet the stable app criteria! Have seen this once and it makes a difference of couple of extra 100's KGS:-)- imagine an extra consumption of an extra average of 300 KG per flight and now multiply this per year...next year we will xx % above fuel consumption! Remember we are still working professional and we will always still be LEGAL! Just follow THE book and not the recommendations to save $$. Lawyers write laws and accountants count the beans and pilots fly an aircraft.
8) Do not refuse direct routing from ATC but do not ask for it- why bother?
Poor airmanship: No- your OFP covers you and what if you ask and ATC says Negative follow the route? Same Sh#t right? Remember follow only the laws and rules you have to.
9)High speed below 10? No just fly 250 kts! It does not make a bloody difference anyway it just feels nicer and better because a jet is designed to fly faster than 250. Do so only if ATC instructs you to do so but do not ask for it!
10) Commit to dest if it is within parameters: why? Just continue normal to dest and stick to dest required fuel amounts and when you reach the minimum req fuel just divert- you are legal to do so check 11.3.4
11) FTL's: go into discretion- yes use it as you feel like but never compromise safety because if you screw up a nobody will back you up! So use it now as a 'weapon'. If discretion has to be used unify and use fatigue as the real name of the game - you are legal and protected to do so. I know it easy to write this but it sucks when you are in the middle of nowhere with 400+ pax but in away a message is sent- hopefully. Do whatever you want but remember end of the day is ops has to be normal or restored no matter what if you screw up it is your "beloved job" ( I should say profession and career that is gone not the office dude's. Remember: Nobody is here to back you or me up so never compromise safety especially on the fatigue sectors and ULR and diverts early morning.
12) Use Full thrust for takeoff since it is allowed / legal and certified to use it - I love every of the 115 thousand pounds- feels like nice Porsche hehehe
13) select Climb thrust at 1500' and acc at 3000' every take off- uses more fuel anyway at least you are quieter all the time
14) Working on an off day: big no-no- when they ask you to fly tell them you are not fit- that's it halasz forget the flight tip or call out thing. Enjoy the day OFF with your loved ones NOW because if we continue to work like this until RA65 we won’t have much health left to live on this planet!So no point making the extra retirement buck- !

My question to you guys n gals is: what's next? But please be careful what you put here because you give the bean counters brilliant ideas how to extend the p*le longer with hot chili and peppers.

My 2 fills worth- feel free to comment and criticize and "eat me a live" for my "poor-airmanship"- that shows how "united we are" hehehe

Anyway I sell Vaseline to grease the p*le -special unlimited edition /recession discounted: Sand Vaseline by J&J - Good news 50 % discount for EPC members ( only if you fly over 90 hrs ) ...so hurry because we will all need it and there is plenty of stock (2 A380's full!) and more on order

Halasz
To whom it may concern thanks for reading this and extending the nice and shiny p*le- we will have the longest, biggest, thickest,most shiny one ( sounds like dubai huh