PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training, hours building and first job prospects in America
Old 22nd Apr 2002, 16:29
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sun 21st April

I have two sessions booked with an instructor; gotta crack this LA airspace and radio and so on. First one I tell Tim I want to do every departure and approach there is, and he's to MAKE me do the radio. He takes me at my word; we go out up to downtown, across Santa Monica's airspace, shoreline transition at 150 ft talking to LAX, through Torrance, across LGB again, then turn east, then...can't remember; I was probably on serious overload by then. I come back and he tells me all I need is to relax!!!! Argggggghhh!!!! Nr Fairy, you have my total respect, and amazement, at being able to cope after just a day or two. I console myself by remembering that you'd flown in the US before, and this is my first time. However, for anyone else thinking of doing this, do remember I was a writer and storyteller long before I became a heli pilot, so I'm a little prone to exaggeration. But only a little; this is tough for someone who learned to fly at a little one runway airfield in the UK and thinks twice before going through Liverpool's zone. Good experience though. Anyway, after lunch Tim says I'm doing it ALL myself this time; we go out to the coast and head south to Dana Point, buzz the pier and wave at the people, and do a pinnacle approach - apparently fun is allowed sometimes. Then through John Wayne airspace which is military and they speak even faster - do they really speak English over here? Sometimes I wonder as I can't understand them. We come back via the freeways; my choice ; Tim said go back the same route if I want, but I decide to make life difficult, and get so tired I can hardly land it in the strong crosswind that's suddenly appeared - didn't know they had wind over here. But I cope with the radio and feel like I can finally do this alone. I'm a slow learner - but I get there in the end.

So tomorrow is the Big Day. I'm finally going out on my own; gonna fly to French Valley, maybe meet Tim there and play in the mountains, maybe just have lunch and fly back. Oh ****, now I've told everyone I can't back out can I? Nr Fairy, not deliberately copying you, but seemed like a good place to go, and not many control towers for me to annoy.

I'm having second thoughts about Vegas as there's so much I want to do, and I'm now running out of time. Two whole days of mainly crossing desert may have to go, if I want to go to Catalina, Big Bear, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, and San Diego, and I do. And I don't want to turn this into a marathon which I don't enjoy; I've flown nearly 35 hours already,and should get the 50 I was aiming for easily. So Bert, I'm really sorry I won't get to meet you, and I'd love to visit any Law Enforcement Air Wings over here if you can arrange it. I can be contacted through Kevin Eastman at Rotor Aviation on 562.595.6867.