PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R44 Cockpit fire in flight (what if..)
Old 11th Feb 2009, 14:23
Lt. Kije

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that if you're too high to see the ground move, you're up in airplane country and those guys can't see. THe possibility of a fire is one of the reasons I like to fly at triple-digit AGL.

But taking a deep breath and trying on your question, I'd:
Autorotate at a high RPM. Autorotation is more stable than powered flight and I may just not be paying as much attention to the rotor-side-up business. High RPM to chop her way down quick. High airspeed for the same reason and to get away from the low end of the power curve. A very slow airspeed would get me down as quick but I'll need the wind to clear the smoke out of the cockpit. If I don't have a passenger in the front seat I'm just not going to be able to reach the extinguisher, so I'd better have one.

The engine is going to keep turning as long as the mag switches don't melt through and ground out, so I can keep the engine running if I choose. If the fire is bad enough I'll kill the fuel valve and plan on running right after touchdown.

Most important is not to panic. The panel will keep the flames contained unless it gets hot enough to ignite aluminum - which it won't, given the temperatures at which wire insulation burns.