PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mod Vs Integrated - A different Question
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 12:53
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just for the record nick14's reason for going integrated I can fully understand and I would say is a valid reason for doing it.

My experience of flying with 200hour or in some cases 170hour low hour FO's is that there is no difference between the 2 methods of being trained. They both have the same hang ups with handling and spacial awareness . Both are slow and very talky on the RT and are guaranteed to step on others. Neither can read a instrument plate which isn't one of their test routes. Handling wise its more of a personal skill in the pilot some are very good and others acceptable and it doesn't seem to matter how they were trained

The other type of FO is the ex-instructor and single pilot ops pilot each have other issues but are in a different league compared to the low hour FO's, who can and will pull a blinder out of the bag when you least suspect it. Its a capacity thing the instructors and SPA pilots have heaps more than the low houred guys. And they don't scream like a girl when you get a wing drop at 200ft, they just sort it out.

And BA isn't what it was 10 years ago. Yes the package is good compared to alot of companys but the big picture of working for them is not as brilliant for new starts as it was.
I am not saying it is a bad job just that its not the dream job it once was.