PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Visas for Saffers
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 12:26
Hobgoblin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... a new passport is going to be released in March. Super. Just spent 13 months getting new passport and workpermits sorted out. No way I'm going through that again. Thanks heavens I got it sorted out before this happened though.

What a joke. Did they not listen when the UK told them to tighten their passport security standards?

Apparantly getting into the US on a SA passport is absolute murder these days. Anyone have personal experience?

I remember travelling in the bad old days of Apartheid how you used to get pulled aside at every single border control checkpoint and given the third degree. What a pain in the neck that was. Only country I never had any trouble with was Mexico. They couldn't have cared less what nationality I was. You had to press a button and if the light came on red you were searched, if it came on green you could go. Great system.

It seems no one could care about the Apartheid thing anymore (Austrian border officials still give me dirty looks though - I must look dodgy) but now anyone with a SA passport is suspect. Thanks to Osama and his mates.

Remember when sex used to be safe and travel used to be fun?