PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER/SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 10:56
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
For diversions? Yes... As an ATCO it probably makes your job so much easier.
I meant no offence by that comment by the way....

I think its unlikely to turn them away. What do you think?

Your right, they wouldnt turn down an airport because it has better aids, but at the same time they wouldnt operate from said airport with all the top facilities if there are no passengers to fly with them... Peel have misplaced optimism and i would question their capability as an airport operator.

This CatIII thing is just like the 'long runway=long haul' thing they still bang on about now..

Is a new customer likely to prefer an airfield in controlled airspace, with Cat III/CatI ILS and 365/24/7 ops, nearer to significant transport infrastructure and potential markets, to one that doesn't a few miles further away?
Not sure if your refering to HUY, and quite right DSA has a larger 'potential' catchment area but look at it this way; KLM have stayed, all the offshore activity keeps the place busy, Eastern are doing well plus other projects, though they may be making a loss, it is only a small one after being in profit for a few years previous. DSA is losing more in a month operating costs that HUY in a full year, someone didnt do their calculations properly.