PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lifejacket serviceablility
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2002, 13:29
Islander Jock

I don't want to be the best pilot in the world - Just the oldest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifejacket serviceablility

A question for someone with experience in the life support area.

WRT the aviation life jackets and I am referring to the type which are folded into small pouches. I have seen numerous occasions where GA pax are taking them out and wearing them because they are flying at or below 2,000ft AMSL. To my mind, if I was given a lifejacket which had obviously been tampered with after it's last inspection, I wouldn't touch it.

The problem we have as a provider of these things is that as far as the servicing agent is concerned, once they are removed from their packed state, the survey is no longer valid and some pilots want to wear them on their short flights over water. However, I am unable to find any manufacturers documentation that says the jackets can only be considered servicable for emergency use if they are maintained IAW the previous survey.

So it appears to be a bit of a catch 22. The service agents agree they are out of survey once unpacked but there is no documentation to back it up. The only opinion CASA have on the matter is that the jacket must be approved and serviceable.

Anyone know where I can get some authoritative guidance on this one?