PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions for mature students who did Oxford Aviation Integrated.
Old 11th Feb 2009, 10:09
demomonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL

I went through the sausage machine which is ATPL training and at OAA Integ too. I was 33 when I started and of a course of 24 there were 4 of us who were 30 plus upon graduation. All 24 of us managed to get jobs quickly I am very thankful to say (mind you that was back in the heady days of 2007!).

If anything, I would say that my life experience helped me alot in all aspects of my training and in finding employment.

The atmosphere on my course was brilliant. The age range was 18-33 but everyone got on, had a laugh and respected each other. The lecturers and instructors are pretty much the same, be reasonable with them and work hard and you will get on fine. It's just like life! Most of the old school attitudes have been flushed from the system now and if you put the work in, they'll support you.

I have to say that I did select an integrated course because of my age and I thought the price premium was worth the stretch because I needed to compensate for it. However there are tales of low hour pilots of 45 getting employment with the big airlines. Airline recruiters do like hiring people with more 'world experience'.