PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agoraphobia?
Thread: Agoraphobia?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 08:53
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GingerNut

This is quite common I will give an example. I was asked by a PPL friend to fly him in his aircraft to N Ireland. The PPL had an IMCR but only felt comfortable flying VFR in VMC conditions.

On the day of the flight the weather was not brilliant with a 700 foot cloudbase so I filed for FL80 airways to cross the water.

As we climbed in IMC the PPL started heavy breathing in the right seat. At Fl 80 we were in the blue just on top of a solid overcast.

He complained that he could not breathe and could we go down a few thousand feet. I asked why we would want to descend into solid IMC loose our glide range should we loose the engine? He looked uncomfortable and panicky with a fast breathing rate.

As we passed the IOM the cloud started breaking and the sea came into sight. My PPL suddenly relaxed. Ten minutes later we were still at FL80 but now VMC with well broken clouds and the coast in sight.He now relaxed completely and enjoyed the flight.

On the return the weather was good so I filed VFR and he flew back with me in the right seat at 3000 feet. He was now happy relaxed and enjoyed the flight. The guy flies solo on short sight seeing trips but always VMC.

There were two Airline incidents that come to mind both involving first officers. The one was where the first officer freaked out and demanded the Captain descended from FL380 to 10000 feet as he was convinced there was something wrong with bthe pressurisation.The other was the much publicised First officer who went berserk and had to be restrained flying across the Atlantic.

Is that what the thread poster is talking about?

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 11th Feb 2009 at 10:00.