PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTMS Delays Sydney
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2009, 04:06
Disco Stu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTMS (I am aware who runs it(sic) these days) started out as a Controlled Departure Time Program, the genesis of which was through the Sydney Flow Controller in 1988. At this time I was the Operations Controller with one of the 2 major domestic airlines and had the misfortune of being sent to Sydney for the first meeting to orchestrate the CDTP. It was quite apparent that ATS could not (there was also an element of would not) handle the available or planned traffic volume, therefore the airlines were stuck with an artificially limited ability to cater for the passenger traffic that wished to travel to Sydney.

As it happened my opposite number from the other airline happened to hangar his private aircraft at the same local airfield as I did mine. A co-ordinated action plan was worked out between us so that both airlines achieved the best outcome for themselves. To this day I still remember the Syd Flow getting frustrated that we (the 2 airlines ) were happily swapping slots and achieving the flights at times we wanted despite the ATC attempts for us to do otherwise. This was a very clumsy attempt at using the airlines (and their passengers) as leverage in a staffing/pay dispute with what ever AirServices were called that particular week.

TIBA is nothing new, at that same time many sections of airspace were being de-activated and TIBA instigated as a consequence of ATC staff numbers (or lack thereof). As the airline was required by (air)law to operate in controlled airspace, this sometimes caused a few delays and re-routing of some flights. I clearly remember re-routing the last SYD-MEL flight SYD-PKS-MASDA-BH-MIA-MEL because a swag of airspace from the NSW south coast out past CBR to nearly BH was 'non-controlled" and therefore unavailable to us. But the passengers got home.

direct.no.speed, SYD have already bought a bridge