PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CABLE vs FBW
Thread: CABLE vs FBW
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 21:18
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC-ATE
Therefore, w/o tail anti-ice, the tail could stall before the wing and you would have no warning
Sorry - please expand

A320 etc. do not have tail anti-ice because they have been designed not to need it / have been certified as not requring it i.e. either the tail does not ice up (significantly) [in fact I know it does / can], or the design is such that it does not significantly affect the overall flying characteristics when iced.

Anyway, a tailplane typically produces a downforce, is at a lower alpha than the mainplane, has a different - in fact inverse - section, so if it did "stall" surely it would reduce the downforce, letting the nose drop...?

FEH
However, there is no automatic thrust increase at this point so unless you help out you can "stall" the aeroplane
Sorry - I do not understand why you need thrust to prevent a stall? If this is so:
In normal mode when it's firing you can pull back to the stop but the fly by wire will limit the aircraft to Cl max.
then so long as the FBW limits you to CL Max, you will not stall, power or no power? Might lower the nose a lot / lose a lot of height, but surely no stall?

NoD