PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Serv International - Threads Merged
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 20:12
CloudQueen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you seriously think it's safe to operate in Africa as a 91 operation with no FAA oversite or regulation?

I in no way implied that the 1900 crash was the fault of the crew.
I fully understand that this aircraft was owned, insured, crewed and maintained by Cemair. - Which by the way... is a POLITICAL, LEGAL, CYA BS statement that places the responsibility on Cemair. Unfortunatly that is the way it is On Paper!
However, Cemair has a horrible reputation and as several SA newspapers quote "LOTS of blood on their hands"
If AirServ or anyone else is in a position to have to lease such services it is their duty and responsibility to hire an organization that exceeds the third world standards.
The 1900 did sport the ASI logo and all partners/passengers thought they were flying on an AirServ plane. Again, I am not saying it is AirServs fault but it is their moral responsibility!!

Yes, some of us flying in such areas have on occasion taken unnecessary risks. I do not recall stating that AirServ would browbeat/pursuade or encourage anyone to fly in bad conditions.

I agree with you 100% that "once the a/c is in the air it's up to the crew how things are handled" AirServ has been fortunate enough to have employeed true professional pilots that go above and beyond and without a doubt deserve praise! And yes, based on the number of successful flights over the years I would agree that AirServ has put up a good effort. But, is good enough? Considering the areas and conditions of the operation that you stated "are out to get you" one would think they would operate at the very least to a 135 standard. To date Air Servs FOM is dated 2002 and is not specific to the A/C nor areas of operation. In addition, I suppose they have been so lucky in the past that they neglected to have an Emergency Response Plan in place!

I am experienced in third world flying, and know the conditions very well, but personally I would prefer to fly planes for an organization that uses more than just the MEL to maintain their A/C. The third world standard has been proven to be unsuccesful and dangerous which is why NGOs contract companies such as AirServ. The expectation is air transportaion at a higher safer level...which I suppose is why they have pulled their funding and refuse to fly with AirServ.

Last edited by CloudQueen; 10th Feb 2009 at 21:03.