PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airport Security A Laughing Stock!
Old 21st Apr 2002, 03:57
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
NX 211: That was a good attempt at mediation/arbitration.

The FAA and/or Congress seems concerned that the people who seem to superficially fit the 'profile' would run to the media and yell "rascism" if the FAA applied security based on its information.

On the other hand: 1) the Oklahoma City terrorist, the late Timothy McVeigh, was a Caucasian Desert Storm veteran from upstate New York. 2) El Al, the Israeli Airline, found many years ago during the long check-in 'interview' that a British or Irish lady was trying to carry a package onboard for a boyfriend of Middle Eastern origin (with the PFLP or PLO?), who had hidden a bomb inside without her knowledge. I don't know what the perfect solution is, but the present system is quite frustrating. Beginning about two weeks ago, voluntarily putting my uniform shoes (which contain metal) in the plastic container every time, means that I get the wand treatment rarely, which saves time and embarassment-it is a relief.

As far as North America goes, personally I have always preferred the style of security personnel at Canadian airports (YEG,YYC,YWG,YYC,YUL...). They have always appeared and behaved in a much more professional manner than most US airport personnel.