PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cityjet Loosing Money
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 15:34
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally know of two ex collegues who have recently DIED from suspected complications re organophosphate poisoning, both flew the 146.
Emotively put, but the jury is still out on that one.

Hardly a startling max cruise is it!
It isn't a contest. We flew at the most appropriate level for the route, and the other London-bound traffic - 757's included - was only 3-5 thousand feet above us. Big deal.

ask any ATC and they will tell you the 146 was a pain in the ass.
I did, which is how I found out the BA shuttle was much more of a problem for ATC than we were (in Scotland).

our regular cruise speed was .68
So you flew at LRC. Not everyone was as tardy as you were!

and probably broke every ATC speed limit required
Are you even a pilot? Obviously we all obey ATC speed restrictions.but not all our destinations had them. Most encouraged us to maintain high speed, pretty common in the UK, and it often saved us (and ATC) a lot of time. There is a lot to be said for versatility.

isnt the 146 a cat B aircraft
What does that have to do with anything? It can still fly a greater range of speeds on approach than any Boeing, and to much closer in. Makes no difference what it's approach category is. Perhaps you need to revise how approach categories are defined.

No B757 has ever been lost to airframe or engine malfunction
Not quite:

2 October 1996; Aero Peru Boeing 757-200; near Ancon, Peru:The aircraft was on a flight from Lima, Peru to Santiago, Chile. Shortly after takeoff, the crew reported some sort of mechanical failure. Contact was lost with the aircraft and the aircraft crashed at sea. All nine crew members and 61 passengers were killed.

And of course there was the 767 accident - essentially the same aircraft:

26 May 1991; Lauda Air 767-300ER; Suphan Buri Province, Thailand: Aircraft lost control and crashed after an uncommanded deployment of a thrust reverser during climb. All 10 crew and 213 passengers were killed.

A pity your 146 experience didn't agree with you. I flew it for 10 years and rarely went tech. Maybe our engineering was better...

And I did so enjoy doing things that 757s could only dream of. I'd much rather have those years of flying into LCY, than a few extra knots or a slightly higher cruise level.