PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirlinesPNG - when is old too old!?!
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 05:23
Cravenmorehead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All @ Beer Monk
I really wonder what the motivation is behind this post?
Either Beer Monk is a disgruntled ex-employee of A/PNG.
Works for the opposition.
Or works for A/PNG and was not awarded the command.
Maybe he is just a TOSSER?
I know this 77 year old pilot quite well, and would call him a friend.
As part of his medical he has to undergo a Stress ECG on a yearly basis. I believe this is a requirment once past 60 (correct me if I am wrong here as I am not past 60 yet).
Chronilogical age has nothing to do with ability, nor safety in this instance. This fella is quite capable and is someone who I personally would aspire to be like at 77, if I get am lucky enough to make that age. I would not hesitate to send my family on a flight with JR. He has excellent mental and physical acuity.
I have flown with 40 year olds, who's physical age would be around 55, and well a heart attack waiting to happen. Also not nearly as clever as him.
He worked for Air Niugini for many years and flew command on 707's.
The Dash 8 is a simple old beast to fly not, terribly challenging and will be a snack for this old timer.
Beer Monk he has forgotten more about aviation and flying in PNG and other parts than you will ever learn.
Now go crawl back under your rock and give him a fair go.
By the way in Australia and PNG there are no maximum age limits on the ATPL licence. I don't know about what various companys policy are but I would think it would be a brave company in Australia that sets an age limit. I was led to believe we have discrimination laws against that sort of thing.
By the way Beer Monk I am under 40 so I don't have a special age motivation in this instance. I just think you have stepped over the line.