PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - International apprentices in Canada
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 01:16
Phil Kemp

Location: Sussex, New Brunswick. Formerly Bowen Island B.C. Canada - one of the greatest places to live on Earth...
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Without formal training, it is extremely difficuly to get a foot in the door. Selecting one of the BCIT courses is probably one of the best ways to start, you will then be able to find a job in the area and work towards your engineer licences. There are a large number of employment opportunities in this area. The training system is very different here in North America - you can put yourself through the college training - then go and get a job as an apprentice. In much of the rest of the world, you have to get a position as an apprentice to be eligible for the training.

Being a commonwealth citizen is probably not a great advantage, I have had student visas and work permits over the years, and I am now a permanent resident - but have always had an employer footing the bill. There are companies that will employ you while you are going to school. The demand for the top students is high, both locally and nationally.

Once you have this completed, there are a number of good flight schools in the area to let you get your commercial licence - then you will be fully equipped to go to some of those remote spots that no-one wants too after a couple of years.

If you are motivated, hard working, you can succeed here and create a great life. I have done it myself.