PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Instructors - Myth or Eventuality?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2009, 01:10
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK all, take a deep breath and think this through.

IT IS A REALLY STUPID IDEA!

On the one hand we rabbit on about the lack of experienced career pilots in GA - and then some bunny proposes something that undermines GA as a career even more.

A CPL is the basic entry level qualification to a professional career as a pilot.

If you want to enhance your basic flying skills and discipline - do a CPL! I don't care how experienced a PPL you are. Don't do it with some baby faced 250 hr Grade 3 - go seek out one of the multi-thousand hour Grade 1 Instructors that you might actually learn something from.

If you are a PPL and you want to instruct - do a CPL and an Instructors rating.

Lobbying to facilitate experienced CPLs gaining an Instructors Rating makes more sense to me than allowing PPLs to instruct.

I haven't looked at it for a few years, but you used to me able to do a C-Cat in NZ in about half the time required for a Grade 3 in Oz. Having flown in both countries, I haven't noticed any difference in flying standards.

If you want to be a PPL Instructor - go join RAA!

Dr

PS: I was a 1000+ hr, aerobatic endorsed, PPL before I did my CPL and Intructors rating! I am a far better pilot for having undertaken CPL training!

PPS: I wonder how many CPLs think it is a good idea for PPLs to become instructors? Always seems to be the case that it is the people who dont hold the qualification who push to have the standards reduced!

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 10th Feb 2009 at 02:42.