PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100hrs! - The perfect circuit
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 23:29
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And yes, I score every one of mine, critically and aim to improve. The good ones are very satisfying. For some bizarre reason my more unconventional approaches usually work out better than the more conventional ones - who knows why!
Mark1234 There are times when taking full flap early or overbanking might be called for. I am purely cautioning against making that a standard for an approach.

The problem with a standard is just that and there are times where high banks and full flaps could be a problem usually at the worst times.

Your question concerned the perfect circuit? I have no idea of your experience level but for me any perfect circuit or approach is one that is governed by speed and profile control as well as configuring the aircraft for the worst scenario.

That has to be minimum drag with max lift and keeping tools back to control speed and descent profile.

In the Citation approach flap is the norm. Taking full flap in one go causes a pitch up on the glideslope and a fair amount of drag. I will bleed from app flap to full in small amounts allowing the flaps to act as airbrakes and to help the autopilot on the glideslope. Drag taken that way brings the speed smoothly back to VREF with the aircraft stabilised.

The last thing you want is everything hanging out with your VREF achieved too early. Its not friendly to ATC or other aircraft to plod in at slow speed or to make power your only speed control.

Get on the back of the drag curve and you will soon know about it especially with light low powered aircraft.

Yes there are times to dump the lot and in a jet that might be full flap gear and speed brakes, but that is one trick up your sleeve not a standard.

There is littel difference with a light single. You may find it easier with full flap as you only have the power or pitch left to worry about but for the perfect circuit consider different speeds and drag at different phases of the circuit.

Ultimately more challenging but more satisfying. when you master that the full flap bit if needed is a piece of cake.

Consider a circuit climb out speed is low you only require 15 deg bank in the climb where will that put you with full flap and 45 deg bank at simular speeds on the approach? It cannot be a perfect circuit?

In nil wind a 15 deg banked climb at 80 kts with an 80 kts down wind and 80 kts down the approach would require a 15 deg bank to bring you onto the centreline of the approach?

Vary your speed or bank and your circuit would not be square.

Pace