PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charter operations in Italy
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 21:43
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Languages

In all honesty - I would offer charter - on demand - service in country XYZ, I would at least have a minimum of one flight attendant able to speak and understand the language of the (potential) passengers.
xxx
I know some requirements for languages seem ridiculous at times. As an example, briefing of passengers in English. I have flown flights with a 747, where probably not a single passenger out of a group of 500 people would understand a word of English.
xxx
English is worthless in many nations of South America, and in some areas of Asia. And in Africa, some nations would much prefer French language use. So requiring Italian for operations in/out of Italy is a sensible requirement.
xxx
In the "old days" - I recall airlines requiring flight attendants to be able to speak a minimum of 3 languages, of which one was English. Although a former pilot, I can do 3 languages fully fluently, and I can massacre 3 more and vaguely able to read or understand a few more... What are schools teaching nowadays...? Or are they social clubs...?
xxx
Nowadays, you are lucky to get flight attendants (and pilots) who can spell some correct English. At least emergency evacuation basics in a few leading languages should be known by flight attendants.
xxx

Happy contrails