PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BAE-146 - a flying 'XJS Jaguar' ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 15:42
aseanaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 146 operators here are keeping pretty tight lipped about their experiences with the aircraft so they are either making bags of money , skating on thin ice or losing a bomb , time will tell

The big attraction is good take off and landing performance , payload , range , speed , ability to do cargo and freight but they have only been operating here I would guess 12 to 18 mths and already there are 2 out of probably 10 or 12 aircraft permanently parked in front of one of the maintenance facilities awaiting parts and or payment from the operators.

BAE make some great aircraft but complicated, I think there is some truth in the old saying

The Yanks - designed by experts to be operated and maintained by idiots

The Brits - designed by idiots to be operated and maintained by experts

And to keep your BAE flying in this part of the World those experts may not be available for a while as the locals come up to speed on the aircraft and won't want to employ expats to avoid costs , which of course will be false economy at this stage.

As I said at this beginning of this thread , the BAE-146 is like a Jag V12 when a Chevy V8 might be able to do the job , similar performance , big difference in operating cost and complexity. Like trying to get an F1 car serviced in the jungle.