PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Finningley AAITC
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 15:19
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember them clearly... Thankfully, the passage of time has ensured that their precise location is no longer information that has been retained thus I am unable to relive those precious moments...

I still recall with horror the leg of one march I was given to navigate. Had I realized what nasty bastiges my instructors would be I might have quit before I started. Their instructions clearly stated from grid xxxxxx travel to grid yyyyyy passing through grid zzzz. Having been reading maps since I was seven this was quite simple - I had to go from a position within a 100m square as defined by the 6 figure grid reference to a similar location but I must pass through a position within a 1Km square as defined by the 4 figure grid reference. Having consulted the map I was quite happy with that since the south westerly corner of the 4 figure grid was at the top of a very steep scarp slope while the rest of the grid square was in a valley. Having reached the destination grid we were sent back to go to the "point" as designated by the 4 figure grid. My argument that said location is defined by a 10 figure grid which defines the 1 metre square or the 14 figure that defines the centimeter... Well... Let's just say that was an argument I didn't win - despite the fact I was absolutely correct...

My team had to go back to the top of the scarp... Pine poles and all...