PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAAP Phraseology Q
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 11:19
muffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only aircraft that are calling on SMC at a GAAP are the ones requesting a clearance. Otherwise why are you making this call?
To be correct, the only VFR aircraft calling SMC at a GAAP are requesting a clearance. All IFR aircraft must call, regardless of whether they require a clearance into adjacent class C.

I understand your point and why you're making it. The specific phraseologies for GAAP don't specify the need to say 'request clearance'.

The introduction to the GAAP phraseology section says:
A comprehensive list of radiotelephony phrases is contained in GEN 3.4, Sections 4. and 5. for use within Australian airspaceincluding GAAP CTR.

This would suggest you need to consider the requirements of GEN3.4 sections 4 and 5 in addition to the specific GAAP requirements.

GEN3.4 5.10 applies generally to clearances and says the pilot phraseology is "request clearance".

So while it's a long way around, I would take that to mean any time we need a clearance, we just have to say "request clearance" in addition to anything else required specifically by the type of airspace we're in. This passes the common sense test and also the philosophy that you shouldn't be backwards in coming forward about what you want on the radio.

So when I fly out of BK and need an airways, I'll continue to give the taxi call with "request clearance".