PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air China 767 crashes in South Korea (April 2002)
Old 20th Apr 2002, 13:59
Belgique

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One further observation about circling approaches and "protected" areas. Upon reflection it's rather farcical to lay down a 1.7nm (3.2km) protected area for cat C aircraft and then not have any significant buffer zone before you can bump into such a highly obtrusive obstacle of the order of the one that they hit (about 1.5kms further on). That 1.5kms at a representative 150 to 160kts groundspeed is equivalent to about a 15 second delay. The actual solution to not becoming a grease-spot on a mountain is to look for the minimum manoeuvring area (i.e. chew up the least airspace necessary) for getting safely around onto an abbreviated finals). It's that message that I am sure is just not getting across. Military pilots do very extensive training in low-level (bad weather) circuits specifically because they are exactly what the Doctor ordered - when it comes down to circling approaches.

Different to the non-precision approach (and in fact unique to the circling approach) is the concept that it's a visual flight phase but because the prevailing visibility can be very variable, you don't have to see where you're going (i.e. what's ahead) - as long as:
a. you maintain not below circling MDA until wings-level on finals and
b. remain within the protected area -in this case 1.7nm radius of the airfield reference point (the centroid of a line joining all runway thresholds) and
c. keep the landing threshold within sight - or immediately execute a missed approach (shortest way round climbing turn onto the MAP course).
...but of course the trick is in not exceeding that otherwise difficult to abide by 1.7nm max (cat C) due to wind, disorientation, distraction or procrastination. Therein lies the real hazard - and automation and EGPWS is of little use during low speed tightly manoeuvring flight in the approach configuration - it's all necessarily done with the Mk1 eyeball.

I've run into two different philosophies on a missed during circling. First was turn the shortest way onto the missed approach course and the second (which seems smarter) turn through the runway (i.e. the ARP) towards/onto the MAP course. The shortest way method would seem to put you outside the protected area too promptly, even though you will be established in the climb. One thing is for sure...knowing just when to chuck it in and throw it away is a real test of airmanship. Just like GF072 and the Alliance Air 737 at Patna found out, turning visually cross-cockpit onto a centre-line can be a real challenge. Stir in a tightening tailwind on base and you have all the ingredients for a major stuff-up.