PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clipping The Airlines' Wings Would Do Us All A Favour: John Humphrys
Old 26th Nov 2001, 03:16
flaps to 60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tilii

From your profile I assume that you are an Airline Pilot. You have obviously seen that I am a flying instructor who is waiting for thier big break.

On September the 10th things were looking rosey maybe in the not too distant future I too would kiss the sky above the clouds. One day later the whole world changed. The fact is people are not travelling and Mr Humphrys is not helping.
Yes I mean what I said and if that makes me a sad git then consider me the saddest (BTW your git comment was just as venonmous as mine to JH but I'm big enough to take it).

virgin

If I earn £100 this week I will be lucky so yes the strain is very intense and it is affecting my marriage.
Maybe I was a bit strong but you can see from the above why. Mr Humphrys has been stupid, to involve his personal opinions on a subject he seems not to have properly investigated. He has thrown lots of figures into his article but no facts. If 1m people read it how many will be convinced by his vitriolic remarks that flying is bad and decide not to travel.
He is excellent at taking politicians apart and his articles in TST have been average but I am just sick to the highest at yet another fame and scoop hungry journo having a "pop" at aviation which puts passengers off and therfore my chances of flying something a little bigger than a C150.
Think about it. How many jobs have been lost because of Bad Press? Remember Excalibur? Had the press and TV not made that report about the tech MD11 at MAN then maybe just maybe they would still be around. Remember C4's report on the BA pilots. Yes they were wrong for drinking but how fair was the rest of the report. As if that was not bad enough they then hounded them out of thier next job. Did they not pay enough for thier mistakes. I have no respect for journalists because to them why should the truth spoil a good story. and I firmly believe that if JH and all the other story tellers were to give aviation some good press for once then I will be employed now.