PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cat 2 in operation but Cat 3 actually flown
Old 9th Feb 2009, 07:30
Thunderbug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my mind if you want to go to CAT3 minima, the aircraft, crew and runway all have to be suitably qualified. If the airfield are only giving CATII then that is the minima you use.

What I still find confusing is what are the actual physical differences between making a runway status CATIII or CAT II. An airfield that I regularly visit and I know is capable of CATIII operations would only give CATII. No NOTAMS to indicate unserviceablity - but what is required to get that runway back to CATIII status?

It was an interesting evening. Large European airfield. Weather was some cloud below 200', vis 1400m reducing and no temp / dew point split. To use the full capability of the aircraft We asked for a CATIII autoland. They came back with the offer of CATII which they then subsequently withdrew. We've briefed for an autoland so we re-jig the minima to CATI. Imagine our surprise to hear the Lufty ahead go around due not visual. We saw the runway only 20' above the minima. Haven't been that close on a minima for ages.

T'Bug