PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2009, 03:13
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consultants - those who borrow my watch to tell me what time it is.

I find it strange that in paying high packages to get the right managers, that these managers then go out and hire consultants to effectively do their job for them.

Third Horizon, Mercer, Ernst and Young, PWC, etc. We use them all.
What next a feng-shui master?

I also remember walking out of his self proclaimed 'No BS' guardedly optimistic that here was someone at least prepared to listen, and who was giving guarantees about getting new controllers, allowing staff movement, access to leave,etc. The consensus was he sounded okay but he needed to walk the walk not just talk the talk.
Yes he does need to go.
Profits for the government are up. I look at the annual reports, staff costs in 2005 were $402.8 million, and in 2008 $402.3 million ( thats right $500k less). Airways Revenue was $614.4m in 2005 and $707.3 million in 2008
($92.9m more). Profit was $58.2 million in 2005 and $92m in 2008 ($33.8m more). We are told that there is no money for the promised 'bloody good payrise' as infrastructure spending has been neglected and there is a need to spend $100's millions of dollars. Its no good having new radars if there are not enough bodies to look at them.
It is a bit like the Yes Minister episode with the fantastic new hospital that is a beacon of efficiency but has no patients.