PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA CAA & the Foreign Licence Validation scheme
Old 8th Feb 2009, 16:20
ct2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just returned from SA and had to deal with almost the same issue - only that I have a SEP class rating only (basic JAR PPL). I got my JAR PPL with SEP class validated there in January 2009

In SA, everybody (also see above posts) still sticks to the "old" Part 61. Most of the guys at flight schools, hire&fly companies and flying clubs I talked to tell you such nonsense like the above said. They still love their old type ratings, endorsements and such blabla...

The fact is that since "new" Part 61 ("pilot licencing") is in place, you can make use of your class ratings as long as they comply with the SA law:
61.13.8 (1) "The class ratings for single-pilot aeroplanes not requiring a type rating are as follows - (...) (f) all multi-engine piston areoplanes (land) (...)
(3) "Differences or familiarisation training is required to change to another type or variant of the aircraft within one class rating."

This is actually the same as in JAR. Differences or familiarisation training can also be done locally in SA by an SA FI as long as you already hold the current class rating.

This can all, incl. of a cloured graph showing class vs. type ratings, be found in the latest red SA air law book which you have to study anyway for your local air law exam.
Also get and check out Irv Lee's booklet on SA on a PPL (higherplane.co.uk) which I higly recommend to you. He also states that this fixation to particular types is outdated nowadays.

You only have to convince the local guys - and this might be the hardest part!

But you do not have to convince the CAA as they are open and helpful. You might also contact Mrs. Neo Tigele ([email protected]). Allow some days for an answer...

I personally found it very helpful (as I did not have the time to prepare this procedure upfront with Irv Lee as he also offers) to see the CAA at Midrand myself. There, I was also directed to Neo Tigele. So I got the paperwork done within some hours and only had to do the air law test, the indtroduction as well as the flights thereafter.

Flying in SA was a brilliant experience btw!