PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100hrs! - The perfect circuit
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2009, 09:54
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 438 Likes on 231 Posts
Thread drift......
I remember that day especially well as it was my first solo flight after passing my test and had been feeling quite elated when I got back to the club......grin from ear to ear........and than a (fairly new) instructor pulled me over and said I'd been flying in the neighbouring airfields ATZ ... Still assuming that all instructors are sky gods and therefore always right even though I knew I'd been flying the pattern I'd been taught from day 1......I whipped my PDA out to check where I'd been (all worried... thinking "oh $%^&^l - they let me loose and I screw up!!" ) and proved that I'd not only been within OUR ATZ but followed the approved circuit path.... But he still thought he was right because that edition of the chart showed the neighbouring ATZ as curved when the join between us should have been a straight line - the chart was wrong(!)..... and had been amended.

But that whole situation totally deflated me ...
This sort of story doesn't surprise me. A colleague of mine transitted an ATZ, on a very regular and familiar route, approximately one mile from the airfield, whilst speaking to the tower. No problems, everyone was happy. However, an aircraft not notified by ATC was seen flying close by and heading away from the airfield. Shortly after landing he had to deal with an irate instructor who complained by phone that he had seen my colleague fly close to him whilst turning long finals when teaching circuits. After some initial confusion, my colleague realised the instructor was not from the airfield whose ATZ he had transitted, but from a neighbouring airfield almost six miles away!

My colleague, who was absolutely certain of his exact track (so was his co-pilot) suggested the angry instructor filed an AIPROX so the radar tapes would be examined. Strangely, he never heard any more about it.