PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 100hrs! - The perfect circuit
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2009, 09:27
bigfoot01
The Original Foot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest, I wasn't too bothered about my ground track, I have been flying circuits round there so long, I know the bits I should have been flying over (although a couple of my turns to finals were clearly not as they should have been!!!!)

I was more interested in getting really sharp on the turns, speeds and heights, I was really taught to judge the circuits by eye, rather than fly them by numbers and my instructor noted that I wasn't really doing some bits very positively, I just wondered if anybody had views on what they should be. I have sense I am going to get a bit of flaming over this, but here's what I was up to yesterday...

So, Rotate, Best Rate of Climb to 500', 15 deg bank turn, Best Rate of Climb to circuit height, set cruise speed. 30 deg bank turn. Call Down wind. Down wind checks...

On the day, given the cross wind here's what we ended up doing. Ready to turn base; power off 30 deg bank turn 10 knots about approach speed. Stick some flap in in. 15 deg bank trun set approach speed, call finals add drag flap.

It's interesting, having given it some thought, after going solo, I haven't really done many circuits with instructors, except when they were checking I wasn't going to kill myself before going solo and during check out flights (when some have been prone to tutting a bit...!!!) so I am not surprised I am not as precise on this as should be.

Further thoughts welcomed...