PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can the Canadian ATPL exams be done via distance learning?
Old 8th Feb 2009, 03:46
ScudRunner08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its been a couple years since I wrote the ATPL's. Its exactly what others have said a self paced study for 2 Exams "SAMRA Exam" (Meteorolgy, Radio Aids to Navigation and Flight Planning) and the "SARON Exam"( Air Law, Operations and General Navigation)

You need to achieve 70% on each, you could even drop in no appointment to write the exams at your local Transport Canada office you get 3.5 hours to write each exam.

You will also need to hold a Class 1 Medical and a Group 1 (Multi Engine) IFR Rating and of course the Minimum flight hours 1500 Total and other specific types of flying (Eg. IFR, Night) However you can write the exam with half the time 750 hours. Also you need to have passed a Group 1 IFR flight test within the preceeding 12 months.

As for study material I would highly reccomend AeroCourse AeroCourse ATPL/IATRA courses
Get the books and study up, the questions are almost word for word whats on the actual exam. They offer a weekend course and I found it to be superb, what I did was get the books study up for about a month took the weekend course and wrote one exam on the next monday and the other on Tuesday and passed both without breaking a swet.

I can not remember the exam price but under a hundred dollars im sure. I think once I got all my paper work together and Applied to Transport Canada for the ATPL the proccessing fee was about 100 dollars. Now when you drop your Logbook and form off (they should have your exams results in the computer) but bring the results anyway, it may take some time depending on the office you go to. I have heard the Hamilton Ontario one will proccess it in a day!! and Vancouver has a fairly good reputation, Stay Away from the Calgary Office!!

Hope this helped